CCCA Logotype

Ohio Region Historic Columbiana County Tour

SimpleViewer requires JavaScript and the Flash Player. Get Flash.

The Ohio Region of the Classic Car Club of America held a weekend tour of Historic Columbiana County this July. Over the course of three days, 30 Classic Cars toured through the rolling hills of scenic Columbiana County. The line of vintage autos made quite a few stops in a relatively short time span, but there was ample opportunity to visit the excellent vintage auto and memorabilia collections along the way. The tour made stops at several historic sites not generally open to the public while touring along winding, rolling back roads over the three day event.

David W. Johnson of the Ohio Region organized the tour including a wonderful tour book detailing the participants, the schedule, the routing, the mileage and the various sites along the tour. The tour book also provided background on each of the sites on each day’s schedule.

The key stops from the weekend began Friday with everyone meeting at Dave Johnson’s ‘Lincoln Garage’ which is as much a ceramic tile showroom as it is a place to house his vintage autos. Constructed in 1983, the garage is tiled from floor to ceiling with special purpose, hand-cut quarry tiles and glazed, hand-painted wall tiles. On the way to dinner at the Salem Golf Club, the tour visited Royal & Susan Schiller‘s 1870’s Victorian home with their ‘horse & buggy’ carriage house and eclectic car collection.

Departing the Spread Eagle Tavern Saturday morning, the tour headed for coffee and Danish at Gene Tareshawty’s Packard Darrin Museum. Next the tour landed at the Cherry Valley Coke Ovens site in Leetonia where Bill Merditch shared his knowledge on this historic 1866 industrial site. Felix and Mary Louise Usis opened their McKeefrey Mansion for a tour and rare insight into a grand era long past. The morning concluded with Dichel Owsley & Marie Peterson hosted lunch for the tour at their Vintage Auto Museum, filled with Period autos and memorabilia from yesteryear.

The afternoon stop was at Dick & Evie Best’s fantastic collection of vintage trucks, trailers, service vehicles and cars – some 150 in all! A well-earned rest and relaxation filled the late afternoon before all the participants gathered for end of day cocktails and dinner at the Spread Eagle Tavern.

Sunday following breakfast the tour left for Tom & Theresa Hannon’s wonderful farm and their spectacular carriage collection that is renown as the finest in Ohio. The last stop on the tour before returning to the Spread Eagle Tavern and the journey home was Dan and Debbie Hanlon’s fantastic Car Barn Museum and their lakeside home car collection.

Don Getz, well known watercolorist and automotive artist as well as a native of Salem, traveled with the tour and is creating an artistic journal of the trip that will be available to participants. A few of Don’s Photos are in the Event Photo Gallery.

 

rule

Contact CCCA Contact WebmasterAdvertise
© 2009 Classic Car Club of America